A curse on LABEL=

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 10 12:10:22 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>> I understand the supposed advantage of LABEL
>> if one is changing a hard disk,
>> but I just feel the confusion it causes vastly outweighs its merits.
>> Am I alone in this?
>
> Try adding a new SCSI controller to a system that moves all existing SCSI
> devices.  You will like LABEL then.

Surely the proportion of users who want to do this is vanishingly small?
I imagine < 5% have SCSI main disk,
and of these <1% ever want to change the controller.
(Actually I have a SCSI-only machine;
but it has never occured to me to change the controller,
and I would certainly expect trouble if I did.)

But as I said, I understand that the LABEL feature helps
a very small number of users.
I'm just saying that it inconveniences a vastly greater number.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366