A curse on LABEL=

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Apr 10 16:51:39 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>William Hooper wrote:
>

>>>I understand the supposed advantage of LABEL
>>>if one is changing a hard disk,
>>>but I just feel the confusion it causes vastly outweighs its merits.
>>>Am I alone in this?
>>>

>>Try adding a new SCSI controller to a system that moves all existing SCSI
>>devices.  You will like LABEL then.
>>

>Surely the proportion of users who want to do this is vanishingly small?
>I imagine < 5% have SCSI main disk,
>and of these <1% ever want to change the controller.
>(Actually I have a SCSI-only machine;
>but it has never occured to me to change the controller,
>and I would certainly expect trouble if I did.)
>
>But as I said, I understand that the LABEL feature helps
>a very small number of users.
>I'm just saying that it inconveniences a vastly greater number.

FWIW,  Changing a scsi controller in a PC will only change the device
names if the scsi IDs of the drives are changed or additional drives are
added with new IDs.  It would not have any negative effects on >95% of
all scsi users.

Using the /dev/sda1 name should thus not be a problem for most, as you
have already said.