Burning DVD's (photo's and .iso's)

David Nedrow listbox at nedron.net
Sat Apr 10 20:33:19 UTC 2004

Mel,

I take it you're having problems? If so, what is the issue?

One thing to note is that Fedora defaults to enabling DMA for all
drives. I've found this to basically make it impossible for me to burn
anything, CD-R/W or DVD-R/W.

To disable DMA permanently for my DVD burner, I simply copied
/etc/harddisks to /etc/harddiskhdb (where hdb is the device node for my
burner) and set USE_DMA=0. This file generally only gets consulted at
bootup.

To change drive settings on the fly, use hdparm.

-David