Backup to tape with tar

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Apr 12 04:22:39 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just need confirmation and possibly input if I have missed something..
>
> I am backing up my data on my Linux system to a DAT tape drive using
> tar..
>
> The command I have used is "tar --totals -cvf /dev/st0 /home"..
>
> Is this correct? and will it restore the correct permissions of the
> files if I restore from this backup?
>
> Thanks..

The command should work well.

If you need compression change it to
for gzip              "tar --totals -czvf /dev/st0 /home"
or for bzip2        "tar --totals -cjvf /dev/st0 /home"

you also can guarantee the preservation of permissions by this
                "tar --totals -czpvf /dev/st0 /home"
Although with my experience, the "p" is usually not needed.

Man tar for more information.