Documenting ClamAV on Fedora?

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Mon Apr 12 05:14:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 10:00, Ron Goulard wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been working on documenting a clamav install on Fedora and was
> considering posting it for others (fedoranews.org for instance).
> However, before I do that, I would like to be sure there are no errors
> and that it is easily understood (much of it was done by memory).
>
> It's not terribly long, nor complicated, but I would appreciate some
> feedback from others if possible, to either verify or improve it.
>
> It's temporarily located at
>
> http://www.techville.org/linux/fedora+clamav-howto.html
>
> And in the meantime, I'm hoping that my 10km wireless hop doesn't fall
> down and cause the site to disappear :)
>
> Thanks to all.
Hi Ron

As Alexander Dalloz already mentioned not needing the "define"
statement, I'd like mention also:
file:///usr/share/doc/clamav-milter-*/RPM-clamav-milter.txt states the
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER line should be:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav-milter',
`S=local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock, F=,T=S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
                                                            ^^^^^
Notice the extra bit at the end that wasn't in your line.

A couple other bits of feedback:

* There's no mention of setting the daemons to start on boot. i.e. a
line such as:
  - /sbin/chkconfig --level 345 clamd/clamav-milter/freshclam on

* Also, to keep to general best practices, the line where you start the
services should use /sbin/service instead of calling the script
directly.

Apart from that, it's a nice, simple-to-follow guide to get ClamAV up
and running.

Regards,
-Matt
--
mhelios - www.fedoraforum.org
Registered Linux User #348963 / counter.li.org