Documenting ClamAV on Fedora?

Ron Goulard foz at techville.org
Mon Apr 12 06:26:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 00:51, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 09:05, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clamav')dnl
> >
> > That is no needed sendmail.mc entry. InputMailFilters is set up
> > automatically in sendmail.cf, even if you use multiple milter
> > applications. If used though "define" entries have to be placed at top
> > of sendmail.mc, in front of FEATURE and INPUT_MAIL_FILTER entries. Last
> > in front of the MAILER settings.

> Is this somehow better than using procmail to call clamav-milter?

What follows can be seen as purely a WildAssedGuess.  I haven't been
able to test or verify this.  If I am wrong, then please simply ignore
this post and I'll go sit in the corner with my dunce cap.  There are
others who can answer much more authoritatively than I.

I've observed that by calling clamav-milter (or anything for that
matter) via procmail, the entire message is accepted, with or without a
virus, spooled to disk, etc., all the normal things, before the scan
takes place.

Here's the guessing part...
Calling clamav-milter from sendmail.cf _appears_ to pick the virus
signature out of the incoming data stream and close the connection when
one is found, thereby eliminating the extra disk work.

That may or may not be what's happening.  It's simply my observation.
Some could argue that it's a small distinction but on a heavily loaded,
high volume server, it may make a difference.