2120S Raid Controller and DAT Tape?

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Mon Apr 12 06:50:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:49:23PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> Jay Daniels wrote:

> >>I do not know the SCSI RAID controller. If it can independent from it's
> >>RAID functionality - and that is an important fact too, if your SCSI DAT
> >>tape drive is LVD too like the hard drives - be used for a single SCSI
> >>device, then you can plug in the DAT drive too. If the controller is
> >>only a RAID controller, or no separate SCSI connector is free, or your
> >>DAT tape drive is not LVD and thus would switch down the whole SCSI bus
> >>to non-LVD speed then it is need that you build in an own SCSI
> >>controller card for the tape drive. Of course that card has not to be a
> >>RAID controller too. Check which SCSI type the tape drive is and then
> >>get a controller card serving that SCSI tape with an outside connector.

> >>Alexander
> >>

> >It's a Seagate Scorpion 40 DDS-4 "internal" drive.
> >
> >The Scorpion 40 supports the following SCSI interfaces:
> >68-pin Ultra 2 SCSI (LVD)
> >68-pin SCSI Wide (single-ended)
> >50-pin SCSI-2(requires 68- to 60-pin adaptor)
> >
> >I currently have my hard drives on an adaptec 2120S with hot swap
> >card.  The cable runs from the raid adaptor to the card.  The 2120s
> >card is a 64bit pci card.
> >
> >Also, I use scsi 5 raid array and don't know if that would require me
> >to install the tape drive on another scsi adaptor.
> >

> According to the Adaptec site the 2120S is raid5 hardware controller,
> ultra 320.
>
> You cannot attach a non-raid device such as a tape drive to this adapter.
>
> You will have to have an adapter appropriate for the tape drive to
> connect it.
>
> >So is the 2120S considered an Ultra 2 SCSI (LVD)?  Do I need to go
> >into the adaptec setup of the 2120s to setup the tape drive?
> >

> No, and No.
>
> >I do not want to purchase another expensive scsi card if possible. The
> >server will hold up to 7 320 scsi drives but currently I only have 4
> >and don't think I will add any more hotswap hard drives.
> >

> You have no choice.  Hardware raid controllers do not support non-raid
> devices.
>
> >I spent a lot of money for this tape drive and want the best
> >performance!  Oh, I also need a ribbon cable - no cable in the box, or
> >do I really need a cable?  The cable from the 2120s to the hot swap
> >card is long and has extra connections!
> >

> You need to check the specifications on the tape drive.
> Is it scsi2 UW or scsi2 UW fast.
>
> I suspect from the info you give and what I know of most DDS4 tape
> drives it is scsi2 UW and not likely faster.
>
> If you want an inexpensive scsi adapter, an adaptec AHA2940UW or similar
> would work well.
> You will need a cable to attach to the drive, and if the drive/enclosure
> is not self terminating you will also need a terminator for the end near
> the tape drive.
> All scsi buses must be terminated at both ends.  The adapter will
> usually be one end, the furthest device is the other end.
> [...]

Jeff, I have an old Adaptec AHA2940UW but I have only one more 32 bit
pci slot and no AGP slot.  I was hoping to use that slot to install a
better video adaptor than the built in Rage XL.

Good to know, Hardware raid controllers do not support non-raid storage
devices.  I had a feeling this was true since I called a Linux vendor
years ago and the tech said that if I wanted a scsi scanner interface
that I need to install another scsi adaptor for the scanner.

jay