No Pine, no tripwire.

dante at virtualblueness.net dante at virtualblueness.net
Mon Apr 12 11:26:40 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

<rant>
I'm annoyed that both Fedora Core 1 and Redhat AS do not have either pine
or tripwire.  The first I can live without, but I use tripwire on my
servers and would feel very uncomfortable running them without it.

I know I can always compile and add more stuff from scratch, but then
what's the point of an up2date system.  I also know you can create a local
up2date or yum repository, add your own rpm packages, etc.  However, with
a package as important as tripwire, should it not be part of the official
release?
</rant>

<question>
1. Does anyone know why tripwire was dropped?  Can the maintainers be
convinced to re-add it?  (Is this some license issue?  Time to write
some replacement?)

2. Has anyone made a comparison of what packages were dropped/added from
RH9 to FC1 or any of the other Redhat products?
</question>

Thanks.

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Director of Information Technology,