Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Apr 12 15:18:20 UTC 2004

At 09:00 4/12/2004, you wrote:
>The problem: when I type "rdate -p MACHINE", it shows the correct time and
>date from "MACHINE". But, when I do "ntpdate", I get:
>
>"ntpdate [process-id]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting"

The cause: Network Time Protocol (ntp) is different from the "time"
protocol used by rdate, even though they use the same port. So ntpdate is
correct... you *are* using its port to do something else.

I suggest that you set up ntpd on your server. Then, the "adjust date and
time" procedure used on the graphical clock (which uses ntp) will work
perfectly. As a reference, here is my ntp.conf file which will (modified,
of course) be good enough for your server. Notice that the first line
"restrict default nomodify notrap notrust" will let *anyone* sync to this
server but not modify it; if you wanted *only* your network to sync, you
would set this to "restrict default ignore" and then allow access for your
client network in the section labeled "client network".

[rpaiz at apollo rpaiz]$ cat /etc/ntp.conf
# Prohibit general access to this service.
restrict default nomodify notrap notrust

# Permit all access over the loopback interface.  This could
# be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
# the administrative functions.
restrict 127.0.0.1

# -- CLIENT NETWORK -------
# Permit systems on this network to synchronize with this
# time service.  Do not permit those systems to modify the
# configuration of this service.  Also, do not use those
# systems as peers for synchronization.
#restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

# --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
# or remove the default restrict line
# Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
# permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
restrict 128.59.59.177 mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap
restrict 192.5.41.40   mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap
server 128.59.59.177 prefer burst
server 192.5.41.40

# --- NTP MULTICASTCLIENT ---
#multicastclient                        # listen on default 224.0.1.1
# restrict 224.0.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 notrust nomodify notrap
# restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

# --- GENERAL CONFIGURATION ---
#
# Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
# and when no outside source of synchronized time is available. The
# default stratum is usually 3, but in this case we elect to use stratum
# 0. Since the server line does not have the prefer keyword, this driver
# is never used for synchronization, unless no other other
# synchronization source is available. In case the local host is
# controlled by some external source, such as an external oscillator or
# another protocol, the prefer keyword would cause the local host to
# disregard all other synchronization sources, unless the kernel
# modifications are in use and declare an unsynchronized condition.
#
server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

#
# Drift file.  Put this in a directory which the daemon can write to.
# No symbolic links allowed, either, since the daemon updates the file
# by creating a temporary in the same directory and then rename()'ing
# it to the file.
#
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008

#
# Authentication delay.  If you use, or plan to use someday, the
# authentication facility you should make the programs in the auth_stuff
# directory and figure out what this number should be on your machine.
#
authenticate yes

#
# Keys file.  If you want to diddle your server at run time, make a
# keys file (mode 600 for sure) and define the key number to be
# used for making requests.
#
# PLEASE DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT VALUES HERE. Pick your own, or remote
# systems might be able to reset your clock at will. Note also that
# ntpd is started with a -A flag, disabling authentication, that
# will have to be removed as well.
#
keys            /etc/ntp/keys
[rpaiz at apollo rpaiz]$