Documenting ClamAV on Fedora?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 12 15:32:53 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 12.04.2004 schrieb Ron Goulard um 07:55:

> > INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav-milter',
> > `S=local:/var/run/clamav/clamav-milter.sock, F=,T=S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
> >                                                             ^^^^^
> > Notice the extra bit at the end that wasn't in your line.
>
> Interesting.  It certainly seems to be working fine without those
> though.  I wonder what those extra bits represent (might they represent
> options in the clamav.conf file?).  I'll have to dig around.  I won't
> add it in just yet, in case it breaks what appears to be currently
> working.

Short explanation of the milter parameters (they are not global but per
milter application adjustable):

The F= says what to do with the message if the milter is not running.
         F=T	Temporary fail connection if filter unavailable
         F=R	Reject connection if filter unavailable
If no F= specified and there is a problem with the milter, then the default is to continue normal handling, skipping the milter.
The T= specifies timeouts for communication. The following fields are defined:

         C	Timeout for connecting to a filter. If set to zero (0),
                 the system's connect() timeout will be used. Default: 5m
         S	Timeout for sending information from the MTA to a
                 filter. Default: 10s
         R	Timeout for reading reply from the filter. Default: 10s
         E	Overall timeout between sending end-of-message to filter
                 and waiting for the final acknowledgment. Default: 5m

[Btw. the milter application can run on a different machine than Sendmail itself, using tcp socket connection.]

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:26:41 up 24 days, 1:08, load average: 1.40, 1.41, 1.32
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]