SanDisk Mini 256

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Mon Apr 12 18:19:02 UTC 2004

Two problems:

1.  It appears in the hardware browser as sda and sda1 - sda1 appears to
have the right amount of space available (says fat16).  However, I can't
mount it or otherwise figure out how to use it.  This is up to date FC1
on a new Dell 600SC.  If I plug it in while sitting at the console
screen, I get a message about generic USB storage and the device not
being claimed by any driver.  My online research hasn't turned up
anything with positive results.  I've tried modprobe usb-storage and
mounting to no avail.

2.  Now, the REALLY difficult part - I CAN'T GET THE DARNED THING OUT OF
THE MACHINE NOW!!!!!!  I've always thought of USB connections as "wimpy"
- Things that can go in that easily might come out easily too!  However,
I've pulled with almost all my might, sorrying about the board to which
it's attached (motherboard I assume), with slight up/down and side to
side pressure, but it simply won't come out!  Anyone ever run into this
with a USB connection and have an easy solution???  I'd hate to get any
more frustrated and destroy my new server!  ARRRGH.

Thanks for any help with either point.  - John