Problem with redhat-config-network

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 12 18:39:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 04:58:20PM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 06:31:58PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Sa, den 10.04.2004 schrieb Rick Lim um 18:13:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I have just changed network cards and the old network card still seems to be
> > > there
> > Delete the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and let it entirely
> > create a new one by using redhat-config-network. If you are experienced
> > enough you of course could edit that plain text file by hand too. Then
> > please keep care to have the MAC address (HHWADDR) of the new card in
> > the config file, else the new card would not work properly.
> >

> I don't know. I have never had the MAC address in a ifcfg-eth0 file.

There are enough ISP's out there that use the MAC address as an
authentication token that deletion of this information could be a
mistake.  It is better advice to move these old config files to a safe
place then rebuild the configuration with standard tools.  If it all
works after the reconfiguration then delete the backup file.  If you
discover that you need a fragment of information in the backup you
have it.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l