swap on FC1

Pierre De Boeck pierre.deboeck at skynet.be
Mon Apr 12 18:50:33 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I have FC1 on my Dell inspiron 5150 and I use System Monitor
to control the memory used.

I have 512MB of RAM and 1GB of swap file. What I observed when
I have not started any application (except some deamons) is that

1) the "used memory" is 370 of 502
2) the used swap is 0 of 1020

And when I launch 2 or 3 apps like emacs or mozilla the
used swap is ALWAYS 0 of 1020.

Is it normal? Will the swap be only used when the used
memory will reach the full capacity available?

I ask that question because I observed that in some session
my disk was continously working, and the used memory was close
to the 500, although only a few apps were running.

Also I noticed no specific heavy process in the
of process listed by system monitor.