RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

cruprecht at webmd.net cruprecht at webmd.net
Mon Apr 12 19:24:42 UTC 2004

Well, what does EOL really mean? It just means, that RH is no longer
making new updates for things which might be broken or pose a security
risk. If you do not care about those issues, I guess, it's pretty safe to
continue to use the product, until you come across something better
suited. I have no plans of abandoning RH9 on my servers for now. If I see
something, I need to fix, because it potentially lets an intruder hack my
machine, I can always download the package source for XYZ distro, build my
own arch-dependant rpm and install that on all my servers.
Some packages, such as PostgreSQL, PHP and Apache, I build from tar balls
anyway, since the current RH9 versions are ancient.

Best regards,
Chris

"Matthew Saltzman" <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>
Sent by: <fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com>
04/12/2004 02:58 PM
Please respond to
"For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>

"For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Mark A. Hoover wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:24:16 -0600
> > From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>
> >
> > So you get essentially a free upgrade to the Enterprise line. Whether
or
> > not you agree, it is at least clear that Red Hat attempted to
compensate
> > you (with something that they consider even better than what you
already
> > had) and did not try to "rip you off."
>
> While not the original poster, I would argue that depending on your use
of
> RedHat 9 (or earlier) that RHWS is not an upgrade as the last time I
> looked at the RHWS package list it did not include Apache, Bind, or many
> of the other common server daemons.

Includes apache, sendmail, samba, nfs.  Does not include amanda-server,
arptables_jf, bind, caching-nameserver, dhcp, freeradius, inews, inn,
krb5-server, netdump-server, openldap-servers, pxe, quagga, radvd, rarpd,
redhat-config-bind, redhat-config-netboot, tftp-server, tux, vsftpd,
ypserv.

Some things are just plain gone (mailman, some *-devel packages, and some
others), and some have been moved to the Extras channel (SQL servers,
e.g.).

Most of the not-included ones are not really necessary for a workstation
(although I'd miss bind and caching-nameserver on my laptop).

If you want server capability and you don't want to pay RHES prices or get
RHES service (and you're not an academic), then you want Fedora Core or
Whitebox or one of the other RHEL clones.

--
                                 Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu