Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Mon Apr 12 20:12:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> I need to be clearer here. The primary machine in my office needs to be a
> time server, so that the other machines can use the sync program and
> "ping" to get the correct time from the primary machine. That is to say,
> it should not only be running NTP, but the other office machines should be
> able to get the correct time from it using the Redhat time "Date/Time
> properties" little program. It has a message on there that says "Enable
> Network Time Protocol", and then I use that to (try) to sync with my
> primary office machine. but the primary office machine refuses to accept
> it. I just use ntpdate via command mode to see if it is actually working
> properly from another machine.

Well, guess what. It just started working. From my other machines, I can
now use the RedHat NTP server to get the correct time from my master
machine. Ntpdate stil won't work, but that's OK...as long as this works,
I'm happy. I just don't know how it happened.

Weird.

E-mail: gilbert at niu.edu                                               ***