Time server...how to set it up on FC1?

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 20:19:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 16:12, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
>

> > I need to be clearer here. The primary machine in my office needs to be a
> > time server, so that the other machines can use the sync program and
> > "ping" to get the correct time from the primary machine. That is to say,
> > it should not only be running NTP, but the other office machines should be
> > able to get the correct time from it using the Redhat time "Date/Time
> > properties" little program. It has a message on there that says "Enable
> > Network Time Protocol", and then I use that to (try) to sync with my
> > primary office machine. but the primary office machine refuses to accept
> > it. I just use ntpdate via command mode to see if it is actually working
> > properly from another machine.
>
> Well, guess what. It just started working. From my other machines, I can
> now use the RedHat NTP server to get the correct time from my master
> machine. Ntpdate stil won't work, but that's OK...as long as this works,
> I'm happy. I just don't know how it happened.
>
> Weird.

> E-mail: gilbert at niu.edu                                               ***
> Work phone: 815-753-5492                                                *
Yes and no ntpd is full time and ntpdate only runs until the time is
set. They're in essence the same daemon and when ntpdate starts it sees
ntpd and shuts itself down.
While ntpd is running it will automatically reference check the system
CPU about every 64 secunds (??) against other ntp servers.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>