sound cards

Dave Jagger djagger at golden.net
Tue Apr 13 01:03:02 UTC 2004

Dave Jagger said:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I'm new to Fedora and was pleased with how well it installed. however,
 > the machine it's on has on-board sound and it was not set-up during
 > installation. The Hardware monitor app lists the sound hardware, but it
 > won't work. any suggestions. How do I go about telling Fedora to use
 > that hardware?
what's the chipset? motherboard?

if you don't know, then bring up a terminal (menu - system tools -
terminal) and type this:  /sbin/lspci

let us know what it is.

you may also want to install sndconfig
(as root) : yum install sndconfig
and then run
sndconfig

Ok here we go!
I typed the lspci command and got a lot of info.  not sure what exactly you
need to know.

I have info on:

Host Bridge
PCI bridge
ISA Bridge
IDE bridge
USB interface
Bridge
Ethernet controler
PCI bridge
VGA compatible controller

What do you need to know?

I'm working on installing  sndconfig and will give updates later.

I also noted in the Hardware Browser window the following under sound cards:

CS4236B: game    CS4232 (driver)
CS4236B: MPU     CS4232 (driver)
CS4236B: WSS/SB  ad1848 (driver)

So it seems to me the machine knows the on-board sound is there.  Does that
make sense?

Thanks!