hp laptop and wireless

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 13 03:10:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 03:53:43PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> [...]

Not Intel Centrino, it's an AMD Athlong-XP-M

mobile AMD Athlon XP2500+ under /proc/cpuinfo

I have never used a wireless network, wifi or bluetooth.  I
was under the impression that a wireless network used a radio signal
since the routers have what appear to be an antenna, but this infrared
port and wifi I really don't understand all this?

But my laptop doesn't have an antenna like a wireless desktop pc card
but yet it says wifi and wireless network ready!

Could anyone explain all this?  Those infrared keyboards and mouse
were junk, I hope this isn't the same type of wireless setup for the
wireless network?

By junk, I mean you had to put the keyboard in the range of the sensor
or it wouldn't work.  I hope this is not the case with wireless
networking?

jay