Some problems getting started

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Apr 13 04:16:06 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 12, duncan brown did say:

> i'm not sure that's what he was getting at.  alot of programs are not
> included with fedora because of license or legal issues.  that's what's so
> great about the vast amount of repositories and the ease of setting them
> up.  the work of a few can benefit the many.   he may have been confused
> as to why he had to take the extra steps to get pine instead of just
> having it installed by default.
>
> -d
>
> William Hooper said:
> >
> > Joe(theWordy)Philbrook said:
> >> Hello Duncan, You make a good point in favor of apt/synaptic.
> >> I'm still new to fedora, I only just now tried yum, and except for NOT
> >> finding things like pine And LyX (which were both available for FC1 on
> >> dag)
> >> I found it a good program.
> >
> > So it is yum's fault that DAG isn't in your yum configuration?

No William it definitely wasn't Yum's fault... I didn't mean to imply
that it was.

When I wrote that, I was jumping in on a discussion where I thought that
Duncan was recommending apt specifically because it could be configured to
use other repositories. At that time I didn't yet have a clue how to
configure yum to use dag... heck two weeks ago I hadn't even heard of dag
(or yum or apt for that matter) I had seen enough of man yum.conf, that I
thought it was possible to add repositories. But I didn't understand how.
And I didn't even know that dag was compatible with it yet.

Fortunately I've since found a good example yum.conf at:
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/samples/yum.conf

So now I'm positive that yum is (for me) the way to go.

I'd like to thank all the kind people who tried to answer my question.
I know I can be a pain, And sometimes confuse people simply by using to
many words. (I am sorry about that ) But I can't help it. It's actually
how I [allegedly] think. Thanks for putting up with me.

--
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>		/---\	"bla bla bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!