French/Spanish/German accents in Fedora with US Keyboard

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 13 04:44:11 UTC 2004

At 20:36 4/12/2004, you wrote:
>            Does anybody know how to configure Fedora Linux such that I can
>compose mails (pine) or documents and inserting French/Spanish/German
>accents? Right now when I try to paste somme accents in my Eterm/xterm, it
>gives me some junk!
>
>How do I insert the accents?
>
>Btw I have a US keyboard so please don't tell me to configure for other
>keyboards! Thanks.

Easy as pie. Set up your keyboard as type "us" with layout "us-acentos". In
the graphical world, this is called "enabling dead keys." Done.

Those keys which represent accents like ' and " and ` and ~ and ^ will now
be "dead keys." This means that nothing will happen if you press them
once... the system will wait to see what key you press next. If you then
press an "a" for example, you will get á or à or ä or â. Pressing ~ then n
will get you ñ. The German umlaut (sp?) is achieved with the double-quote
dead key, then the vowel.

In order to output the bare symbols like ' and " and ~, you press the dead
key and then a space. Seems cumbersome at first, but get a little practice
and your fingers will learn the moves very quickly. Works like a charm, and
is the reason why I refuse to accept a computer with *any* layout other
than US... configuring any other "international" keyboard is a bitch since
you never know what kind it's supposed to be, and making it work becomes a
lengthy, painful process of trial and error.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com