poor scp speed on one server

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue Apr 13 13:39:53 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have tried to copy some files to one server using scp and noticed a
poor speed. I can copy files with about 4 MB/sec :-(.

Copying the same files to other servers I get a speed about 8 MB/sec.

The NIC is a 3Com 905b fastethernet, the switch is a cisco catalyst
fastethernet.

Any ideas what can cause this difference?

A hdparm -Tt on the "slow" server showes:

  Timing buffer-cache reads:   512 MB in  2.00 seconds = 256.00 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:   84 MB in  3.03 seconds =  27.72 MB/sec

This should be ok, or?

Regards

Götz Reinicke
--