RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 13 15:17:45 UTC 2004

At 23:40 4/12/2004, you wrote:
>I bet newbies (not knowing anything about Linux) after hearing how
>great Linux was then went out and purchased RedHat Linux said, what a
>Piece-O-S***!

Clearly you don't like them and are not satisfied with them. I'm sorry to
hear that, but I'm also happy to report that I have not had even *one* of
the negative experiences you cite, and happily the 15 or so friends of mine
who now run Linux, and the 30 or so machines on the office networks which
I've managed to convert, all run beautifully. I remember my RHL installs
since 6.2 (older releases get foggy in my memory, although I did start at
RHL-3.0.3), and I have consistently been pleased with the quality,
progress, stability, and ease-of-use.

>Requardless of your facts, dates and links, I understand this user's
>frustrations.  Live and learn.  RedHat will probably die sometime
>during our lifetime.

99% of companies will die within our lifetime, so excuse me if I see little
relevance there. Regardless of your perceptions, feelings, and displeasure,
I respect your right not to like it but *I* don't understand his
frustrations, having not experienced them. Besides, in the original
argument here the issue is not of satisfaction with the product at all
(since he did like the product). His point was that he bought a one-year
contract of up2date service, and installed RHL-9, and the OS version he
installed was EOL six months later so he feels ripped off because he won't
get updates to the OS version for the next six months.

I say he's going to get free access to another (more expensive) OS version
and updates during the life of his contract... so while he may or may not
like it (his right), it's not accurate to accuse Red Hat, Inc. of fraud,
bait-and-switch, or any other unethical conduct.

You are free to love, like, or hate Red Hat. But your rant is entirely
off-topic for this thread.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com