Kernel Compiling Checklist, rev 3

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 13 15:39:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:23, jludwig wrote:
> One more item make -j # > /dev/null allows parallel compiling of
> components where # is the number of forks. I use about 1 per 64 meg
> allowing for overhead, and dumping messages also speeds the process and
> you still get warnings and errors.--
> jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>

Nice tip!  I never thought of redirecting STDOUT to the bit bucket to
gain a speedup while compiling.  Classic Unix flavour too with "no news
is good news".

For the threads, wouldn't you only see a speedup on SMP machines?  Does
kernel compilation have a lot of HDD waiting where another thread can
jump in and use the CPU.

I would think two, maybe three threads would be the max for a single CPU
machine after that the overhead of threading would kill any speedup.
But you suggest for my laptop -> 512/64 = 8 threads.  How did you come
up with the 64M guideline?

Sorry, lots of questions in there.  :)
Chris
--