X11 issue after using up2date

Ryan ryan at rfnow.net
Tue Apr 13 16:34:17 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I just installed FC1 last night and let it ran the updates, there were
100 of them. Then after it errored out half way through, my computer
wouldn't run right. No X-Window programs were opening, i could get to
terminal sessions etc. So I decided to reboot (old habit), then when my
system came up I was greeted with: "'X' is respawning to fast...
suspending for 5 minutes" or something like that. So I logged in to the
command line and tried 'startx'. I then was greeted with this message:
"error while loading shared libraries libXmau.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such File or Directory"

So then after some searching around at the red hat site, I found how to
invoke the X Configator for RH9 so I tried (can't remember the exact
command but this is close):
redhat-configure-XFree86
Same error as startx. So is it possible that up2date messed up my
X-Windows? Is there a way to recover except by reinstall?

Thanks,

Ryan