RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 01:26:48 UTC 2004

Luc Bouchard said:
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:30, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> Just before the 11/3/2003 deadline.
>>

> The November date was arbitrarily chosen to try to prove a point. It
> could have been June 1, 2003.

OK, June 1, so you get 1 month of RHEL instead of 6.

>> As explained in the FAQ, you have access to RHEL for the remaining
>> months.
>>

> Yes I could, but at what cost.

Cost to get RHEL?  None.

Cost in changing your existing machines to RHEL?  The same probably that
it would cost to transition to RHL 10 (if it existed).  Probably the same
that it would cost to move to a different distro, if that is what you
decided to do.

I have no pity for anyone who has waited this long to decide what to do
when RHL 9 goes EOL.  Red Hat has provided RHEL (and even one month
evaluations for users who don't have access via RHN) for testing.  Red Hat
has kept their end of the bargain on RHL 9 support, even though the RHL
line is ending.  Red Hat offered half price deals for two years on RHEL WS
and ES.  Red Hat has changed the RHN support of RHPW so that it is now
renewable.  Anyone that says (and what started my involvement in this
thread) that they didn't know RHL 9's EOL was coming up has had their head
in the sand for longer than RHL 9 has been out.

--
William Hooper