unmounting cdrom drive

Keith ac7xc-lnx at wvi.com
Wed Apr 14 08:44:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 17:45, Anthony Thompson wrote:
> I have just made the change from Mandrake to Fedora Core 1 and Im having
> problems unmounting cdrom drive.
> Everytime i attempt to umount /mnt/cdrom or eject I get the error "cdrom
> busy".
>
> I am well aware this normally occurs if you are still using the cdrom
> drive. I spent 30mins browsing the fedora list archives but was able to
> get any ideas/solutions..
>
> I just using the standard Fedora kernel with all updates..
> I never had this problem with Mandrake so I know the hardware..etc is
> working fine..
>
> Any ideas what is causing this problem??

 Make sure that any open folders or programs that are accessing
/mnt/cdrom or *did* access it are closed. If all else fails
then open a terminal like gnome-terminal or xterm or konsole
and type
umount -f /dev/cdrom
that will force the CD-ROM to be unmounted. If it still gives you
fits then

su
password:
umount -f /dev/cdrom

in the terminal.
In Gnome look under preferences -> CD properties to set the preferences.
I turned off use auto-run and open a folder for mounted CD ROM and
that helped to reduce the problems.

--
Best Regards,  Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/