Linux doesn't boot up - Firewire issue

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Wed Apr 14 13:21:09 UTC 2004

So are you saying that the 1394 modules fail to load, or that your computer
freezes when they attempt to load at boot time?

If your computer is freezing when it attempts to load the 1394 modules, it's a
little more involved to get them out, since they are typically loaded from the
initial ramdisk, rather than as part of the regular boot process.

I always did something like this:

gzip -dc /boot/initrd-xxxxx.img >/tmp/initrd.img
... (substitute the xxxxx for whatever your kernel's real initrd is, as listed
in /boot/grub/grub.conf) ...

mkdir /tmp/1
mount -o loop /tmp/initrd.img /tmp/1
vi /tmp/1/linuxrc

... take out those entries in linuxrc that load the 1394 modules ...

umount /tmp/1
gzip -c /tmp/initrd.img >/boot/initrd-xxxxx.img

And reboot.  Later on you can fool around with the 1394 modules on your own and
see just what the problem is, but at least that would get you booting.