RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Apr 14 14:22:43 UTC 2004

Williak Hooper wrote:

> I have no pity for anyone who has waited this long to decide what to
> do when RHL 9 goes EOL.  Red Hat has provided RHEL (and even one month
> evaluations for users who don't have access via RHN) for testing.
> Red Hat has kept their end of the bargain on RHL 9 support, even
> though the RHL line is ending.  Red Hat offered half price deals for
> two years on RHEL WS and ES.  Red Hat has changed the RHN support of
> RHPW so that it is now renewable.  Anyone that says (and what started
> my involvement in this thread) that they didn't know RHL 9's EOL was
> coming up has had their head in the sand for longer than RHL 9 has
> been out.

Must be me, then.  I knew that previous releases of RHL were EOL-ing;
I was able to assume that RH9 would do so too at some poont in time.
I did not, however, know anything about the Fedora project, nor did
I hear anything about not just EOL for RH9 but RHL itself until some
time around November of 2003.

Should I, as a (home) sysadmin, have read anything and everything I
could possibly get on the subject of RHL?  Perhaps... if I had
nothing else to do with my time.  I can't even read every message
here.  Would it have been nice for RH to have included a note as
to their intentions in their regularly-published email updates that
all "free" RHN users get?  Yeah, that would have been nice.  Sure, I
support what they've done, to the extent that they are free to make
their own business decisions for their products and services.

BTW, they day that I got the notification of RH9EOL, I got the
Fedora ISOs and converted my personal machines soon afterwards.
Since my mail/web server is stable, I am planning the upgrade based
upon FC2 when released.

 -Don