RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Apr 14 14:57:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 11:49, Jeremy Hogan wrote:

> > Should I, as a (home) sysadmin, have read anything and everything I
> > could possibly get on the subject of RHL?  Perhaps... if I had
> > nothing else to do with my time.  I can't even read every message
> > here.  Would it have been nice for RH to have included a note as
> > to their intentions in their regularly-published email updates that
> > all "free" RHN users get?  Yeah, that would have been nice.
>
> We sent out more than one RHN notice, announced it on our web site, in
> free newsletters, had special promotions and talked about it in press
> releases. Journalists wrote articles alternately flaming our lack of
> vision or praising us for it. It's been the topic of Slashdot flames and
> mailing list threads alike. The word was as out as we could make it.

I got it so many times in so many ways I was sick of hearing about it.
Anyone who didn't know when RHL-9 was going EOL and/or didn't know what
their options were must've been living under a rock.

I think it's also important to note that its not like these RHL-9
systems will suddenly explode on May 1st.  They'll still keep trucking
along... if security vulnerabilities are announced, the same people who
never heard of RHL-9's EOL or their upgrade paths will probably be so
oblivious they'll never hear about the vulnerabilities either... and
like they say, ignorance is bliss :-)

And I still have to wonder what any of this has to do with Fedora :-/

Ben
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves