RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Apr 14 15:03:40 UTC 2004

fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote:
> Don Levey said:
>> Williak Hooper wrote:
>>
>>> I have no pity for anyone who has waited this long to decide what to
>>> do when RHL 9 goes EOL.  Red Hat has provided RHEL (and even one
>>> month evaluations for users who don't have access via RHN) for
>>> testing.
>>> Red Hat has kept their end of the bargain on RHL 9 support, even
>>> though the RHL line is ending.  Red Hat offered half price deals for
>>> two years on RHEL WS and ES.  Red Hat has changed the RHN support of
>>> RHPW so that it is now renewable.  Anyone that says (and what
>>> started my involvement in this thread) that they didn't know RHL
>>> 9's EOL was coming up has had their head in the sand for longer
>>> than RHL 9 has been out.
>>>
>> Must be me, then.  I knew that previous releases of RHL were EOL-ing;
>
> So when Red Hat said that RHL releases were going to have 12 months of
> support, you didn't think that applied to RHL 9?

I think you missed my point.  The EOL of RH9 is a *different* issue from
the EOL of RHL as a product line.  Yes, I knew that RH9 would EOL.  No, I
hadn't realised that RHL *itself* was going away.

> [snip]
>
>> Should I, as a (home) sysadmin, have read anything and everything I
>> could possibly get on the subject of RHL?  Perhaps... if I had
>> nothing else to do with my time.  I can't even read every message
>> here.
>
> Browsing various news sites would be sufficent.  The EOL announcement
> got a bunch of press.

I do that when I can - I must have missed it.
Keep in mind that I'm not really griping, just adding my experience to
the discussion.

>> Would it have been nice for RH to have included a note as
>> to their intentions in their regularly-published email updates that
>> all "free" RHN users get?  Yeah, that would have been nice.  Sure, I
>> support what they've done, to the extent that they are free to make
>> their own business decisions for their products and services.
>
> Generally announcements that I get from the redhat-announce list are
> also accompanied by announcements from RHN.  The message from April
> 2003 gives the link to http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata
> which has had RHL 9's EOL date from the day it was released.
>
> --
> William Hooper

Again, these are two different issues.  When was the product line EOL
announced?
 -Don