X11 issue after using up2date

joeclifton at bellsouth.net joeclifton at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 14 16:05:33 UTC 2004

Ryan,

I did almost the exact same thing, and had almost the exact same problem.  After several minutes of scratching my head....I figured it out.  The root partition was full.  So I deleted the files from /var/spool/up2date  and cleaned up some other junk that was taking up space, and then restarted the machine.  It worked fine after that.

You can log in on the console or telnet to the machine.

Hope this helps....

Joe

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 12:34, Ryan wrote:Hi there,I just installed FC1 last night and let it ran the updates, there were 100 of them. Then after it errored out half way through, my computer wouldn't run right. No X-Window programs were opening, i could get to terminal sessions etc. So I decided to reboot (old habit), then when my system came up I was greeted with: "'X' is respawning to fast... suspending for 5 minutes" or something like that. So I logged in to the command line and tried 'startx'. I then was greeted with this message:"error while loading shared libraries libXmau.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such File or Directory"So then after some searching around at the red hat site, I found how to invoke the X Configator for RH9 so I tried (can't remember the exact command but this is close):redhat-configure-XFree86Same error as startx. So is it possible that up2date messed up my X-Windows? Is there a way to recover except by reinstall?Thanks,Ryan