Bad update - X11 corrupted

Keith ac7xc-lnx at wvi.com
Wed Apr 14 16:34:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 09:07, Dick Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I recently decided to upgrade from RH8 to Fedora.  I downloaded the
> .iso files, burned them and installed without a hitch (checked the
> md5sum and the finished CDs first).
>     Unfortunately, when I performed the system update, the X11 package
> was corrupted.  Now I can't boot into Fedora normally.  I can get in
> through the "Linux rescue" from the install disk, but I'm afraid I don't
> know what to do from there.  I'm at that dangerous stage where I know
> enough to get myself into trouble, but not enough to get myself out, so
> I don't really want to touch anything without some advice first.  Is
> there an easy fix to this?
>
> Thanks,
> Dick

Did you make a boot disk when you changed to fedora?
 You could use
linux single
on the command line to boot in single mode.
There is a way to create a rescue disk on the
the first CD-ROM.

 The best thing to do is to backup your /home directory and maybe
/usr/local if you need to and do a clean install. If you have
other areas with data you need to save then also include those.

tar cvfz home.tar.gz /home
tar cvfz local.tar.gz /usr/local
then you need to copy or move them to another disks
or burn them to a cdrom using cdrecord.

--
Best Regards,  Keith
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/