Bad update - X11 corrupted

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Wed Apr 14 18:11:51 UTC 2004

Dick,

Here's a way to boot from the hard disk and skip the graphical stuff:

When the GRUB bootloader screen comes up, hit the 'a' key - this allows you to
modify the kernel parameters that are being used to boot your system.  Backspace
over 'rhgb' to remove it, then type '3' (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
This tells the Linux kernel to boot to runlevel 3 instead of what is specified
in /etc/inittab (that would be '5' in your case.)  Runlevel 3 is the normal
runlevel with all normal services running except for X.  Much easier to
troubleshoot your system from this point than from a rescue disk.

After you've booted to runlevel 3, you can log in normally and try to diagnose
your X problem.  I recommend starting by trying:

X -probeonly

and seeing (and telling us!) what error messages are reported.

Good luck!
Martin