strange problem with system time

James Lemke jim at TheLemkes.ca
Wed Apr 14 20:16:33 UTC 2004

I took an older machine (HP Vectra, P2-450, 128M, 10G, eth0=dfe530tx+,
eth1=3c905b) and did a fresh install of FC1 on it.  I ran up2date and
applied all fixes.

The system appears to work fine except that the system time keeps
jumping to approximately 4 hours before the current time.  This happens
whether or not ntpd is running.  hwclock is fine.

I tried setting the system to time to current time +4 hours.  The next
occurrence still went back to current time -4 hours.

The only pattern I see in syslog is that the jump always appears to
occur when a message like the following appears:

Apr 14 11:52:55 shoal kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

(This msg is always the first one with the incorrect time.)

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Jim Lemke   jim at TheLemkes.ca   Orillia, Ontario   FWD# M:245401 H:246889
1992 ST1100, STOC #3750   COG #2637