strange problem with system time

James Lemke jim at TheLemkes.ca
Wed Apr 14 20:35:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 16:20, duncan brown wrote:
> does this happen with any other o/s installed?
Dunno.  I've never installed anything on this machine before.

> did you set your time zone improperly?  ntpd may be changing the time on
> boot, did you disable it, set the time and then reboot?  (chkconfig
> --level 12345 ntpd off)
I tried two different time zone settings for EDT -- Toronto and NYC.  No
difference.  No difference with ntpd running or not.

This happens while the machine is running, not at boot.  At boot the
time is always correct as it is read from the CMOS clock.

> is your cmos battery getting flakey?
I don't think so because the h/w clock keeps the correct time.

Thanks for the thoughts.

--
Jim Lemke   jim at TheLemkes.ca   Orillia, Ontario   FWD# M:245401 H:246889
1992 ST1100, STOC #3750   COG #2637