Duplicating a Fedora PC

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Apr 15 15:24:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 11:56:51PM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I've used the Ghost with Norton 2003, to do disk copies of
> computers that are setup with Win98/Fedora in dual boot mode, and
> it seems to work fine. With Red Hat 9, it would do the copy, but I
> would have to boot from the rescue disk, and login as root, and
> change to the grub directory, and run the grub command to reset the
> root partition. This can be found at the symantec site, but I don't
> have it handly. I have 20 machines in the lab, and setup one
> machine, did all updates, and then used a cross-over cable to
> connect it to another machine. Then I did multiple copies from those
> two to the others, eventually ended have 8 machines ghosting to 8
> other machines all with cross over cables, made it a very fast
> process.

I gather the machines in your lab are not normally networked. How
about using a USB 2.0 drive?

You may find my "Linux Complete Backup and Recovery HOWTO" useful for
this as
well.
http://www.charlescurley.com/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO.html
Inter alia, my scripts will run grub for you. You can add a call to
ifconfig to the build scripts.