MySql starting failed?

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Apr 15 17:17:41 UTC 2004

hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu wrote:
> Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
> Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]

Here is one way to resolve the problem:

1. open /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld as a root user using your favorite editor.

2. find the line that looks like:
if !([ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin  ping 2> /dev/null`" ]); then

3. change that line so that it looks like:
if !([ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u UNKNOWN_USER ping 2> /dev/null`" ]); then

Note that because of line wrap in a mail reader, the above may appear as
though it is two lines, but it's really one line in the file (though I
don't think it would make a difference).

Hope this helps,
Clint