Where does the KDE menu live?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Apr 16 02:21:18 UTC 2004

My KDE was slightly screwed up today -
I ran SuSE-8.0 from a different partition
but with the same /home
and then returned to Fedora.

I know I could have deleted ~/.kde and started again,
but that would lose a number of settings,
so I was looking for something less drastic.

A typical point is that my K-menu now contains
an item "Lost & Found" containing "Terminal" among other items.
I assume "Lost & Found" is not the correct name for this item,
so I have been looking to see which file contains these words,
to date without success.

So my question is, where exactly does KDE (3.2.1 if that is relevant)
look for the items in the main menu?

It seems to me that the items are copied to /var/lib/menu/kde/
but where do the items to be copied come,
and how is it decided which items to include, eg in the main menu?

As far as I could see, the KDE Manual has nothing on this.

Any pointers gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366