smp kernel update notice

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 16 08:29:44 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:
> Doesn't work.  Locks up as usual just after enabling quotas and on the
> line that says enabling swap space.  Locks up cold:(

Looking into the boot scripts, swap is enabled in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. The
next step is to start the serial ports, then load st if required and then
usb-storage. It might be one of those that's causing the problem.

In the past, when I've had to track down boot time hangs, I've run the boot
scripts with the -x flag, or placed strategic 'set -x'/'set +x' commands
within the scripts to trace execution. I've not done it on a Linux system
but the principle should be the same. You might try putting a set -x in
rc.sysinit just before it sets up swap to see what command is issued before
the hang.

BTW, my SMP systems are Supermicros. The one I'm using for my current tests
is an X5DPL-8GM. It doesn't have SCSI or hardware RAID. I don't enable sound
or USB - it's a server and doesn't require either.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555