cdrecord / readcd problem

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 12:59:05 UTC 2004

Duncan,

>bring up a terminal and type this
>
>cdparanoia -w 2 2.wav
>
>tell us what you get as output... i have a few cds that do not work in a
>cd-rom, but fine in an audo cd player.  an early run of king missile's
>first album doesn't work, there's no copy protection as far as i know.
>
>what cd is this?  it may be copy protected.

Of course I used CD's that have worked before.

cdparanoia -w 2 2.wav = completely OK, reads track, no problem.

Output:

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Ripping from sector    2727 (track  2 [0:00.00])
          to sector   11518 (track  2 [1:57.16])

outputting to 2.wav

(== PROGRESS == [                              *| 011518 00 ] == :^D * ==)

Done.

NOTE. while reading:   :-)  Normal operation, low/no jitter

So trying 'paranoia' on/off with a couple of CD's (all through x-cd-roast):

1) pure audio CD, paranoia on = OK

2) pure audio CD, paranoia off = bad

3,4) mixed audio/data CD, paranoia on/off = bad - it tries to read the data
track first and fails,
and I think it used to work under RH9.

The only other thing is that the audio reading is very slow, reading at 1x.
I don't remember
it being super fast before, I thought it was faster, but it could just be
the same speed.

Under RH9, I didn't use paranoia mode, but at least now I can read audio
CD's again.

I still think there is a problem with 'readcd' - if anyone wants to look
into this, just tell me
what test/log files you want.

Thanks,
John.