Is this correct: Kernel Compiling Checklist

Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz null at etanisla.com
Fri Apr 16 13:55:35 UTC 2004

> Woudn't it be easier to untar the kernel directly in
> /usr/src, or even
> do yum install kernel-source-what-the-hell ?

Easier to untar directly into /usr/src? Yeah, good point.
Do yum install? At this point, my box isn't 'net-capable yet. Hence the need
to upgrade the kernel, so I can install the Prism54 drivers and get wireless
working. Or can yum also work with files on the drive already? (I'm using a
second system to download and put on floppy, flash, or CD the files I need.)

> You forgot creating the symlink:
>
> ln -s linux-xxx linux

So that IS necessary! (Did I mention I'm learning this the hard way?)

> > 5:  "make oldconfig" (Keep the stuff that works, and only answer new
> > questions)
> > 6:  "make xconfig" (Make sure kernel options for Prism54 are set
> > properly)
>
> Why twice?
> Once you have .config copyed run just 'make xconfig', those options
> which are compatible with the older .config will appear as already
> marked.

Because the last time I copyed .config and ran 'make xconfig' the only thing
that was set properly was those items I explictly changed. Everything else
was fubar'd. I know I did something wrong, but until I can figure out what,
I'll go the long route.

> > 8:  "make clean"
> This is no always a good choice.

Why?

> > 14: Edit /etc/rc.sysinit and change '/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe' to
> > /sbin/modprobe'.
>
> No clues. What is this supposed to do?

To be truthful, not sure. But I saw a warning in this list a few weeks ago
emphasizing this step for RedHat and Fedora users.

> Try this mantra:
>
> * get the tarball and stuff it in /usr/src
> * tar xvfj linux-xxx.tar.bz2 ; ln -s linux-xxx linux ; cd linux ; \
> cp /boot/config-xxx $PWD
> * make xconfig ; make dep ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make
> modules_install
> * cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-xxx
> * cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-xxx
> * cp /usr/src/linux/.config /boot/config-xxx
>
> Make the initrd, edit grub.conf and reboot.

Would 'make install' take care of the last four steps?

Gracias Enric,
--Etanisla