kernel removed -- please help

Sandeep Shekhar Prasad ssprasad at iitg.ernet.in
Fri Apr 16 13:58:19 UTC 2004

I have done a really stupid thing!
I issued the following command
rpm -e kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl

and then rpm -i kernel*1.2174.nptl.*rpm

and then rebooted the comp

I wanted to switch from 2179 to 2174 kernel (as I was facing graphical
bootup problems after the upgrade)

Now the grub doesn't show the linux kernel to boot into fedora. I am not
sure if 2174 kernel is installed or not.

I cannot re-install the system, as I have some files whose back-up I
didn't make and I donot want to loose them

I have two partitions (made as default by anaconda - /boot and the other
for entire sys)
I also have windows installed in another partition.

I tried to upgrade system through FC1 CD, but the upgrade/installation
failed!!!

Help me, what can I do.