ext3 journaling taking up HDD Space ?

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Fri Apr 16 19:06:36 UTC 2004

Uttered "Matthew Benjamin" <msbenjamin at fedex.com>, spake thus:

> /dev/sda1             6.7G  6.6G     0 100% /
>
> This is what my space looks like. This is the / partition. I have 2
> other servers running that are much busier, and one is a older ( a dog
> as far as I'm concerned) however they are running ext2. They have both
> been up and running for 100 days + I rebooted them lately - just for
> fun. Neither one of them just ran out of space however. The /home and
> the /var drives are partitioned off so that the website, ftp, and home
> drives don't mess with the / space.

EXT3 journals are of fixed size; that ain't the problem.

Check _all_ the places where log files are kept, not just
"/var/log/messages".  For example, apache keeps logs in another
place.

Just for fun, do a:

	# ls -l /var/spool/mail

to see if an account is receiving mail but not checking it.

Cheers!