3 Beeps, Then Black Screen

billg billg at f-m.fm
Fri Apr 16 22:45:20 UTC 2004

I'm running into a problem trying to install FC1 on a machine that
previously ran FC1 with no problems. (I've made no hardware changes.)
This feels like a known issue, but a search of this list and elsewhere
has turned up nothing.

At seemingly random points during the install, the machine will emit 3
beeps and the monitor's screen will go black. Disk activity appears to
stop.  When I tap on a key, the display corrects itself and things
proceed until the next time.  If I nurse things along and complete an
install, the problem occurs during normal use. This happens every few
minutes and makes Fedora impossible to use. I've tried multiple CD's from
a variety of sources.

Another point that may or may not be relevant:  Over the last several
years using a number of Red Hat releases and Fedora, I've noticed that if
the windows created by the install script, or any of the other RH/Fedora
python scripts, are overlayed by windows created by another program, the
text in the script's windows disappears when the overlaying window is
moved or removed. All the machines were using Matrox cards.

Thanks,

billg