ext3 journaling taking up HDD Space ?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Apr 17 00:23:31 UTC 2004

Tommy Reynolds wrote:

>Uttered "Matthew Benjamin" <msbenjamin at fedex.com>, spake thus:
>

>>/dev/sda1             6.7G  6.6G     0 100% /
>>
>>This is what my space looks like. This is the / partition. I have 2
>>other servers running that are much busier, and one is a older ( a dog
>>as far as I'm concerned) however they are running ext2. They have both
>>been up and running for 100 days + I rebooted them lately - just for
>>fun. Neither one of them just ran out of space however. The /home and
>>the /var drives are partitioned off so that the website, ftp, and home
>>drives don't mess with the / space.
>>

>EXT3 journals are of fixed size; that ain't the problem.
>
>Check _all_ the places where log files are kept, not just
>"/var/log/messages".  For example, apache keeps logs in another
>place.
>
>Just for fun, do a:
>
>	# ls -l /var/spool/mail
>
>to see if an account is receiving mail but not checking it.

Also, since the journal is fixed size, /something/ else is growing.

Running "du / > /tmp/du.log" will give a log of all files/directories
trees on the disk and the space used in each all the way to the end leaves.

If a single tree indicates a large space usage investigate the details
to find out where the space is actually used.

If this is a server it may be in /var/log/httpd, /var/log/sa or
something similar.

A while back I had a machine with a broken version of logrotate and that
would fill my system up with thousands of files as it brokenly attempted
to do its job.