nvidia driver works w/ new kernel and inittab 3, but not 5

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Sat Apr 17 02:56:42 UTC 2004

> Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 8:16 PM Alexander Dalloz replied:

> # rpm -qa kernel*
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
> kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
> kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
>
> Uninstall kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, so that you have
> only the kernel source for kernel .2179. Normally it is
> enough to have only one kernel source installed. Did you
> manually install the packages using rpm -i? Else
> kernel-source would be automatically installed with rpm -U.

Yup, that'd by my guess too. In general you always want to install new
kernels rather than upgrade. That way you can stil boot into the old
kernel if something blows up. However, the same can't be said for your
kernel source. Multiple source trees tend to confuse make dependencies.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555
eric at ediamond.net