Using Fedora as firewall.

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 17 12:14:40 UTC 2004

david_pettersson at bredband.net wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Before my old computer burned I used it as a firewall or gateway to the internet. Then I had a modem and a networking card and everything worked.
>
>Now I have two networking cards, one buildin in the motherboard (eth0) and one in a PCI slot (eth1). When I tried to do the same to give my WinXP box access to the internet I couldn't get it right. When I connect to internet using eth0 everything is fine. When I start eth1 to the WinXP box it works, but then I have no contact with the internet thru eth0.
>To get contact with the internet again I have to stop eth1 and restart eth0. Does anyone have a clue?

My suggestion is that you get hold of an old PC and then use SmoothWall
(www.smoothwall.org).. I have used SmoothWall to share and protect
dialup, ISDN and DSL internet connects and it works like a dream..

At hime I have a 1Mbps DSL connection running through a 486 / 66mhz PC
with a 500MB drive, 40MB of RAM and two 3COM ISA cards, it does the job
perfectly with the load average at about 0.08 when downloading..

This to me is the beauty of Linux, you can get the right tool for the
job and it can run on very small hardware for these types of
applications.. A PC of that spec would go for next to nothing on Ebay..

Later..