Changing Hostname

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 19:05:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 14:41, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
<snip>
> You forgot step 0: xhost +localhost.  The X server is no longer able to
> send it's information to the original host name (since you changed it).
> Restart X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) and you should be able to start a
> browser.

I made the suggested changes and it work.  Thank you. To recap, I used
the following steps:
1. xhost +newhostname
2. changed the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network
3. changed the 127.0.0.1 entry in /etc/hosts to include the new host
name
4. restarted network services
5. restarted X using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Everything is working, however, when logging back into Gnome, I received
an error message stating that Gnome could not fine the oldhost name.
Once logged in everything seems to work.

My question is, how do you update the hostname gnome stores?

Also, is there a command that can be run to restart X?  I've built a
script to change the hostname and would like to eliminate having the
user restart X.

--
Clifford Snow