HaM Modem 5628D-L .B Chipset

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Sun Apr 18 05:37:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:50:37AM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 17.04.2004 schrieb Stuart um 04:26:
>
> > Greetings:
> >                 I need some help in setting up the above Modem, I need
> > either the link to were I can find a driver set or a simple step by step
> > way of setting it up.
> >    From my searches I have found the source code on the Intel Web site but
> > can not get it to work.
> >
> >    I had the Modem working with my Mandrake setup and do not really wish to
> > buy a new modem.
> > Thanks Stuart
>
> What was the problem? What did you try and what failed?
>
> I got the driver package from
>
> ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/5976/eng/intel-v92ham-453.tgz
>
> unpacked it and began to read readme.txt which clearly states:
>
> 6 steps to install
>    1. login as ROOT
>    2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf
> <archivename>.tgz"
>    3. cd into the directory it created.
>    4. Type: make clean
>    5. Type: make ham
>    6. Type: make install
>
> The only thing which is not documented is the fact, that on Fedora Core
> 1 you have to run the commands with CC="gcc32". For "make clean" that is
> not important, but for building the ham.o module:
>
> CC="gcc32" make ham
>
> That build me modules
>
> -rw-rw-r--  1 adalloz adalloz 19611 17. Apr 04:39 ham.o
> -rw-rw-r--  1 adalloz adalloz 676590 17. Apr 04:39 hamcore.o
>
> on latest FC1 kernel in main directory. The "make install" calls the
> haminst script which is not prepared for Fedora (but Redhat), but it
> should be no problem what the generic process runs. For sure you can
> check that in detail in the plain text script file.
>
> I have not such a modem so I can not check the modules. Though I am sure
> they will work.
>
> For further detailed instruction read the readme.txt file. That's the
> reason they put it in the package. Just use your brain ;)
>
> Alexander

Funny Alexander:)

The intel driver for my winmodem on my HP laptop didn't work.  I
followed the instructions and develped a few wrinkles and serious
headache.  Hey I did read the readme file;)

The Linuxant HSF driver works.  Well worth the $20 licensed.  There is
a trial driver but it's limited to 14.4.  Try it to see if it works
before you buy.

http://www.linuxant.com/

Make take some trial and error to see which one you need.  I used the
HSF driver for mine, however, I'm not sure what type of modem you
have.

jay