problems at installing apt

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Sun Apr 18 09:20:54 UTC 2004

Chun,

It sounds like you are fairly new to linux. You make want to stick with just
Yum until you feel a bit more confident. It integrates nicely with the
redhat/fedora updates whereas apt you really need to be careful of what you
are doing (as it doesn't seen to be the package manager of choice).

HTH,
Harry

Quoting chun lee <leechun at leechun.freeserve.co.uk>:

*> hi there:
*>
*> i am trying to install apt on my Fedora and got these errors and i don't
*> know what they mean and how to solve it. could anyone give me some
*> advice?
*>
*> i typed:
*>
*>    rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.15cnc2-1.rhfc1.ccrma.i386.rpm
*>
*> and i got:
*>
*>    error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
*>    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
*>    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
*>
*> also:
*>
*>    rpm -Uvh apt-devel-0.5.15cnc2-1.rhfc1.ccrma.i386.rpm
*>    error: Failed dependencies:
*>         apt = 0.5.15cnc2-1.rhfc1.ccrma is needed by
*> apt-devel-0.5.15cnc2-1.rhfc1.ccrma
*>
*> many thanks
*>
*> yours
*>
*> CHUN
*>
*>
*>
*>
*>
*>
*> --
*> fedora-list mailing list
*> fedora-list at redhat.com
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
---
November 2, 2004: National Bush trimming day